The “Deershaw” is a mid-sized general purpose knife which sits in between the Heavy Bushcraft Knife and the smaller Nabscliffe and Snowgate utility knives. With a 3mm full tang blade, this is burly enough to handle tougher tasks, while still being a manageable size and weight, This is a completely handmade item. The blade is 95mm long in O1 tool steel, with a slight drop-point and a 15 degree Scandinavian grind. It carries a shiny polish finish. The handle is finished in an unidentified mahogany-type hardwood, salvaged from my old piano! This is bonded onto the full tang with epoxy and secured with two 6mm brass pins and a 6mm brass lanyard ferrule. The handle is ergonomically shaped and finished in linseed oil.
The sheath is cut and stitched by hand from 3mm veg-tanned leather and made bespoke to fit this individual knife. It features a traditional direct belt loop with a press stud so it can be taken on and off without undoing your belt. This also means it can easily be converted into a Nordic-style “dangler” if you wish. The leather is stained chocolate brown and finished with Paul Sullivan’s 5 star leather care wax.
This is a bespoke item – there is only one in stock so there’s only one chance to grab this unique knife!
- Blade: 95mm full tang 01 tool steel with 15 degree Scandinavian grind
- Handle: 100mm reclaimed “piano wood”
- Sheath: 3mm hand stitched veg tanned leather, waxed finish.
- Blade: the blade is 01 Steel and will rust if not looked after. Thoroughly dry and oil after use with a light gun oil. You may use cooking / olive oil if you are worried about contamination with food.
- Handle: The wood is finished with linseed oil. To keep it protected I recommend regular re-oiling With boiled linseed oil, which is obtainable in any DIY store.
- Sheath: The leather sheath is finished in wax. I can heartily recommend Paul Sullivan’s 5 Star Leather Care wax. Google it!
UK BUYERS PLEASE NOTE:
THIS KNIFE IS FOR SALE TO OVER 18s ONLY. By completing this purchase you certify that you are over 18 years of age and that you understand UK laws on carrying of knives and bladed articles. We may ask for ID / proof of age to be submitted before completing any purchase. Please don’t be offended, it’s the law – and if you want small knife makers to stay in business, then its a small inconvenience to ensure we keep everyone happy!