My take on the classic Sloyd Knife, beloved of whittlers and spoon-carvers the world over. This is a basic knife with a small, finely pointed razor-sharp edge – perfect for carving small details.
The blade is a 60mm long and approximately 2mm thick, from 80CRV2 with a hidden tang. It features the classic Scandinavian grind for easy maintenance. This is fitted into a tapered oak handle with an octagonal profile – giving grip and comfort whatever angle the knife is held at. The handle is trimmed with a simple brass bolster and finished with tung oil and beeswax polish.
This knife is available with an optional handmade leather sheath – if you intend to keep your carving tools in a roll then you can save yourself a bit of cash by ordering without. If you choose to have the sheath, you get a simple slip-on design with no belt loop, dyed to a medium tan and finished with contrasting yellow stitching.
These knives are made to order – please allow up to three weeks for production at busy times.
- Blade: 60mm hidden tang 80CRV2 with 12.5 degree Scandinavian grind
- Handle: Oak with brass bolster.
- Sheath: (optional) 3mm hand stitched veg tanned leather, waxed finish.
- Blade: the blade is high carbon steel and will rust if not looked after. Thoroughly dry and oil after use with a light gun oil. You may use cooking / olive oil if you are worried about contamination with food.
- Handle: The wood is finished with linseed oil. To keep it protected I recommend regular re-oiling With boiled linseed oil, which is obtainable in any DIY store.
- Sheath: The leather sheath is finished in wax. I can heartily recommend Paul Sullivan’s 5 Star Leather Care wax. Google it!
UK BUYERS PLEASE NOTE:
THIS KNIFE IS FOR SALE TO OVER 18s ONLY. By completing this purchase you certify that you are over 18 years of age and that you understand UK laws on carrying of knives and bladed articles. We may ask for ID / proof of age to be submitted before completing any purchase. Please don’t be offended, it’s the law – and if you want small knife makers to stay in business, then its a small inconvenience to ensure we keep everyone happy!